Tuesday, September 7, 2010

It's Ripley's, I tell ya...

Gentle readers if you get the heebee- jeebies just thinking about blood-sucking bugs, avert your eyes quickly and move on to another post. The tale I tell here is so horrific and bizarre, I swear it's Ripley's weird...

Five days ago, driving Excy to town to yet another dr appt for blood work, I noticed two ticks on the dash (the smallest ones). That night while undressing for bed, he found four on him and I picked off two (in places believe me, you don't want ticks, not that you want them anyway).

Excy had been complaining earlier that week that he kept finding ticks on him and all he did was walk around the circular driveway. And one day he found one, and hadn't even been outside. The cats never go outside. We suspected Corey was bringing them in from his outside errands, despite going straight to the shower when he came in.

Three days later, Corey and I found and killed TEN in the car as I drove us to my nephew's BD party and back. By this time, I was pretty friggen' wigged out. If you want me to lose it, just close me in a closet with ticks. I can handle snakes, spiders, and even scorpions better than ticks...So that evening, Corey drove his truck to Wal-mart to pick up a 'bug bomb' for the car. We set it up overnight. The next morning Excy vacuumed out the car, noting he didn't find any dead (or alive for that matter) ticks as he did so...but when he came inside 30 minutes later -- we picked FORTY off his clothes and after he stripped down...

yeah...you read that right...FORTY...

turns out our driveway is infested...

did you scream yet??

I know you're at least thanking the lord it isn't your drive...

I haven't wanted to step foot outside since, but yesterday we had to drive back to town for another dr appt. When we got home, Excy found just one after our now-daily 'tick check,' but I had four on my feet and ankles...at least they are on the floorboard, as we didn't see any in the car while we were in it...

So he sprayed it down again inside, and we have been spraying the drive...I think we have ticks because of the 'coons, and because Francis (the fox) has taken to sleeping underneath the car where it's cool.....

Ah...The hazards of the country.........yikes......

6 comments:

ReformingGeek said...

YIKES, indeed!

Find a predator for ticks. Quick!

Traci Marie Wolf said...

Ahhh!I don't even think I've ever seen one, but I am sure I would freak out. Good thing you have each other for support and to take action (seriously). If you get a chance, read this and you will see how this would be my worst nightmare. http://traciseesapolarbear.blogspot.com/2010/08/idiosyncrazies.html

running42k said...

An infested driveway? Hopefully the cold weather sends them away (and not into the house either!)

Anonymous said...

Good grief. I may never sleep again!

Tam and John said...

I don't know how to spell the sound I'm making right now!!!

Chris said...

ewwwww!!!