Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Call It Superior Sexy

I'm gonna take a page from Arkansas Patty's book and talk a bit about something that annoyed me highly last week when I picked up a copy of People magazine (oh, yes, I read this drivel -- cover to cover -- such a font of information...though I am starting to 'age out,' as the personalities they keep featuring I a) don't know OR b) care nothing about...especially those 'celebrities' who are famous for being famous reality 'stars' -- sheesh gimme a break...).

The new 'Sexiest Man Alive,' Ryan Reynolds, is, to borrow a phrase from my friend Toni, an 'embryo.' I know, I know, I saw him with his shirt off in The Proposal too, (my friend Vance could not stop gasping and ta-dah, there went his infatuation with Brad Pitt). But come on folks. He's barely got stubble on his face. (Ryan, not Vance -- who could pass for CoCo O'Brien). I'd feel like a cradle-snatcher.

But I have always preferred older men. More experienced. More seasoned. More mature (so I can be less mature, I guess...). Nope, AR Patty is right: I'll take Sam Elliott. Even with his 'crumb-catcher' -- which on him looks downright wicked:





Or Robert Redford:




Or Mr Darcy -- err -- Colin Firth:


Or James Bond -- err Connery -- forever Bond in my Book:

Let's not forget Tom Selleck,either, and of course there are the real men in my life. But I don't want to make ya'll too jealous. Or track them down ;)


PS: Amy's Awesome Whole Cranberry Sauce
It wouldn't be Thanksgiving if I didn't make this cranberry sauce, which is also awesome with ham and chicken...Enjoy!

1 lb. fresh cranberries
2 cups sugar
1 t. fine grated lime zest
1.4 c. fresh lime juice
1 t. fine grated orange zest
1/4 c. fresh orange juice
1/2 c. water
Combine ingredients in heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes, until berries pop open. Skim foam off surface. Don't overcook. Cool to room temperature. (I make ahead and refrigerate). Serves 12.

12 comments:

marciamayo said...

I agree with all of your men, although I have to say that Colin Firth is my current favorite. I don't think R Redford aged particularly well, but, since I didn't either, I shouldn't even notice. I do love what he's become since leaving his pretty boy status.

Chris said...

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds great. Did you get my e-mail?

ReformingGeek said...

Panting for Tom Selleck!

The cranberry sauce sounds delicious!

wendy said...

I totally agree with all of that. I like the older guys.....even Steve McQueen.
Where did all the hunks go......the new "sexy" is sometimes to Pretty for me.
I like a Man!!!!

hope you have a great thanksgiving, I am in Utah with my family. It has not all been happy however, as my son died unexpectedly Nov 11 and me and hubby drove 16 straight hours to get here. It has been devastating to all of us.

Jayne Martin said...

Will always love Robert Redford. But Sam and Sean have ageless hotness, too. Ryan is adorable, but the sexiest man alive. Yeah. If you're 14.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tam and John said...

Yum, yum, and yum! Let's not forget Paul Newman and John Travolta! I read People too...more and more I find myself texting my daughter "Who the hell is Chloe Whatsherface??" Still...where else would we get the true lowdown on Princess Kate?!

Maggie May said...

The Cranberry Sauce recipe looks really good.
Although we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in England, I hope you have a very happy, peaceful time.

Thank you for commenting on my blog. You are all very precious people who take the time to do that.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Arkansas Patti said...

Thanks so much for the link and am so glad you agree. I also agree with Wendy, somehow sexy has turned into pretty. Ok for women but men??
Loved your choices.
Sam has a special, Sunday on CBS.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

OH MY GOODNESS, I didn't know you were out there! Are we sisters?

I love your men choices with my fav being Sam Elliott. If he didn't have a wife, I would bring him (probably force) to MO and make him live with me. He makes me drool. And he keeps getting more handsome. Is that possible? Ok I'm done. One more thing I might add, what's up with the embryos being hairless? Give me the hairy men please. Sure they clog drains, but they're worth it.

Thanks for stopping by place. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I agreed with ALL but the Colin Firth and Sean Connery is where you lost me.

I too have that People and my husband asked me who these guys were? I asked him if he thought that was a sign we were officially old now? His response was, "Yes, but I'm thankful because these men are getting awful pretty now and less masculine. They don't even have hair for heaven's sake." That made me laugh.

SoI guess hubby and I both agree with you.

Tina said...

I'm blog stalking from Wendy's blog. (no botox) and HAVE to comment. My husband can't understand why I melt everytime I see or even hear Sam Elliott . . . . . what is it about that guy, I can't even figure it out, but he is smokin' HOT! You're the first woman that I've seen admit the same . . . . I agree with your other choices too!

e said...

Did you recover from the antics of the cat as you were trying to sleep?

Those were some interesting choices; I'd ad Tim Spall, Bob Hoskins and Tim Roth to the lot.

I wish you a good day tomorrow!