Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tasty Treats


Those who read this blog regularly know cooking and baking are hobbies and a stress-reliever when I have the time to indulge in it. Last week I tested a recipe before I made it for mom on Mother's Day, and it was so delicious I think it's the best cake I have made this year. 

MANDARIN OLIVE OIL CAKE

Serves 8
Prep 20 min. Total time 3 hrs b/ c of cooling

1/2 c . olive oil, plus more for pan
1 1/2 c . all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for pan
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. pinch a pinch of fine salt
3/4 c. whole milk
2 T. unsalted butter, melted
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1 T. finely grated mandarin zest, plus 6 T. mandarin juice (about six mandarins)
1 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 14 c. confectioner's sugar

HEAT oven to 350 degrees.  Brush a loaf pan with o oil and dust with flour, tapping out excess.

WHISK together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 t. salt in medium bowl, set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, butter, vanilla, mandarin zest, and 4 T. of the mandarin juice; set aside.

BEAT the granulated sugar and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer on med-high until light and fluffy -- 2 to 3 minutes.

REDUCE speed to low and add the flour mixture and milk mixture alternately, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and mixing well between additions. (The batter will be thin),

TRANSFER the batter to the prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 60 minutes (or 70). 

COOL cake in pan 30 minutes, transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

COMBINE the confectioner's sugar, the remaining juice and the remaining pinch of salt in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add a teaspoon of water or more juice is needed to loosen. Drizzle over cooled cake. Let set before serving.



There are a few things Arkansas is 'famous for,' in the food category: pink tomatoes, peaches, watermelon, and finally -- strawberries! The strawberries came out two weeks ago so I have been stocking up. When not gobbling them up whole or freezing them, I am using them any way I can. Excy loves my strawberry-rhubarb pie, but my frequent staples are shortbread and an Indian strawberry bread. If anyone is interested, I'll post these as well.



8 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

The title sounded odd. The recipe sounds delicious. And it's all things we can easily find here!

Stephanie Faris said...

Yeah, the title isn't appetizing at all. But then cheesecake and carrot cake don't sound good...but they're delicious!

injaynesworld said...

Sounds yummy. Alas, baking is not high on my skill set. If there was only a way for you to e-mail me some of that cake! :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Agreed...the name sounds awful but that made me read the rest. Now it sounds delicious!! Thanks.

Sultan said...

Thanks for posting this.

I Wonder Wye said...

Thanks all -- I didn't make this for months because of the title! Then I decided it would either be great or something to chalk up to live and learn :)
Give it a try…….

ReformingGeek said...

WOWSA! I got a sugar overload just reading the recipe. I'm glad it turned out well.

Yes, please post the recipes for the pie and Indian bread. I love strawberries!

Mrs. Tuna said...

I LOVE olive oil cake. But I am lazy and depend on my sister to make it for me :)