Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fabulous Frodo and The Alien



Frodo...
Frodo found his forever-home this afternoon. Our housecleaner mentioned she was looking for a "tiny kitten" to be a companion to their adult cat and also for her daughter. She didn't think she'd be interested in a young male, but agreed to go to the studio to meet him before she left. I watched as Excy and R walked down the lane....and then walk back up with Frodo nestled in her arms! Soon after arriving home she called to say Frodo would not be returning to us and he and her daughter were having a love-fest on the porch. Excy came in and said that as soon as they had walked in the door Frodo made a bee-line towards her. He quickly worked his magic. This is the 30th cat we've found homes for...I feel so happy (and relieved) every time...
and the Alien...
Corey's cat is our resident alien. She's moved with him from Texas, Chicago, Arkansas, and soon, probably this summer, California. A peripatetic traveler.

He doesn't know how old Dixie is (Dixie Lou Ellen Johnston). Someone shoved her in his arms when she was a young cat. He's had her ten years, though. For an older cat, she is as active and playful as a youngster, forever wandering around trying to get one of our three rousted from their snooze on the bed for a game of chase.

Having been an only cat, and having lived briefly and unsuccessfully with two dogs and another cat, C was convinced she wouldn't acclimate to our household and kept her in the guest room the first 6-8 weeks. When we finally got home from Excy's surgery in Cleveland, I started opening the guest room door. She'd venture out and stealthily explore, darting back to 'her' room at a moment's notice.

Her big discovery was our bedroom cat door to the screened porch. She's never been outside. After watching longingly the others go in and out, she screwed up her courage. Now the porch is her favorite hangout. That and a sunny window ledge in our bedroom. Despite her occasional rambunctious, Dixie is a timid cat -- think Don Knotts in The Ghost and Mr Chicken -- but she's slowly coming into her own.

She and Togo agreed to tolerate each other. By some unspoken agreement they merely ignore the other's presence. Phoenix she mildly dislikes for the simple fact Phoe has taken to sleeping on C's bed. Dixie dislikes sharing 'her' person...C can wear her on his head* or tease her, but she adores him and she lives for when he comes home, greeting him at the door any time of the night.

But she and Lenny -- well, they're a revelation. It may be because he's male, young, and friendly to all cats, but they romp and place chase all over the house. Usually he runs and she chases him. He runs looking backwards to make sure she's hot on his tail.

With me, Dixie's figured out I can't chase her, which is her favorite game. So she'll engage me by flopping on her side and yelling "braaaccckkkoooo," and then racing off into another room and hiding. I stomp off after her and clap my hands when I 'find' her and she runs to another hiding spot.

Sometimes she gets lost for real -- the house is bigger than the apartments she's used to -- and she'll caterwaul until we call back to her. When C's gone a long time she'll pace and cry for him. When we come home she always comes to greet us but looks rather crest-fallen it's not C.

Dixie can't stand the black stray -- despite being male and friendly. I think she feels there's 'no room at the Inn,' and she worked hard to get here and doesn't want to be displaced by an interloper. I've grown fond of this strange alien girl. I'll miss her one day. I think she'll miss us, too.

*see my halloween post (2010 halloween WOW) to see Dixie being worn as a hat...

8 comments:

Jane said...

I love reading about other people's relationships with their pets, and it makes me really want to have one. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to commit to a dog right now, and one of my housemates is allergic to cats. (Or so he says - I have a sneaking suspicion that he just doesn't like cats.)

But I've decided that as soon as I graduate and move out on my own, I fully intend to get a pet, preferably a cat. They are such fun.

Doris Sturm said...

Thanks for sharing your cat anecdotes...I love the way animals are so unique and have their own special personality just like people and if you stop and pay attention, they really can enrich ones life. I can't imagine mine without animals. Although my Gizzy dog won't allow me to have any cats, I enjoy the stray who thinks he's mine and comes inside to eat (whilst I put Gizzy "up" somewhere - thankfully he's a little dog.) Smokey sleep on the porch (most nights) where I place a bed out for him. In the cold winter, he slept in the bedroom on the highest pile of comforters away from Gizzy...so it's all working out...plus, I'm still feeding the strays and I get my cat fix without Gizzy having too much of a conniption over it ;-)

I hope you and your husband are doing well!I'll do my hat giveaway next month because this month I wanted to give something "green" in honor of St. Patrick's day!

Arkansas Patti said...

Having formerly run an animal shelter, I know that feeling when you find a forever home for one in your care.
Congrats on the successful pairing.
Sounds like that "alien" has worked her way into your heart. They are so good at that.

Sally Wessely said...

I admire that you do this. I've not been a cat fan for many years, but my daughter adopted a cat recently that had been rescued from the streets and was a wild stray. I must admit that Fluffy has since made his way into my heart. I'm grateful to know that these cats are rescued and that good homes have been found for them.

marciamayo said...

Pets, pets, pets. How I miss them.

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

I love cats and their individuality, they are all so different. We've had a few in our time and have just the one now. She at this moment is "tolerating" our grandlittle and doing a very good job of it. I was a little concerned it would not be a good mix, but our grandlittle is learning to be gentle and Mia has all the patience of a saint! And they came together over crinkley paper, both of them love it so much.

e said...

Great post. Glad Frodo found some loveable humans to go home with. The deal with cats is they must like the person as much as the person likes them or things won't work out.

I hope you and Excy are doing well.

VEG said...

I love that you look after and adopt out these kitties. I just love cats. Dogs too, but cats are just adorable in my eyes.

I know what you mean about adopting them out and the feeling when they find a happy home. It's happy and sad all at once. Growing up I had a beloved dog and she had seven puppies right before we got her speyed. For one glorious summer when I was eight, we had eight dogs in the house. Glorious for us kids, anyway, I think my parents were probably less thrilled. I adored every one of those pups. Every time we found a home for one, I was devastated. :)