Sunday, May 9, 2010

Momma


Mom's favorite photo of herself from the '70s. With Susie the Siamese, Grandmom's cat visiting from Indpls. Susie was so smart she taught herself to use the toilet. No, she didn't drive here...


Happy Mother's Day to all you mom's out there. You have a yeoman's job. Having only 'four-footed kids,' I cannot imagine how hard it is daily to be called 'mom.' So enjoy 'your' day to shine and relax!

I suppose every little girl thinks her mother beautiful. I know it's true in my case. People commented on the fact my entire life, and I knew it to be so, too. For some reason, particularly until she colored her hair, with mom's red hair, blue eyes, fair skin, and dynamite figure, I always thought she resembled Shirley McClaine. Men swarmed around her like bees to honey. My parents were an "It" couple among their peers. They ran with a fun crowd. Both with movie-star good looks, fun, witty, interesting, and successful (mom worked before it was fashionable, which made her 'different,' particularly in the South of the '60s and early '70s), they were always doing something with their friends: trips, water-skiing, sailing, tennis, dining out, gourmet clubs, bridge, you name it. But they loved being with their kids, and always had plenty of time for us.

Mom and dad have been happily married 57 years, and have been a couple since high school - never dating another. 'Dropped, pinned, engaged, married,' is how their generation progressed in committed relationships. Steve and I both had 'starter' marriages that ended quickly, in part, I think, because we assumed from our parents' example that true love was effortless, and were shocked to learn most people weren't the product of such happy homes. The bar was set high.

Still, so in love has never stopped momma from flirting. She's an incorrigible flirt to this day, and highly successful at it, particularly because she's effortlessly charming. You would've thought she was a true Southern Belle, where flirting among the female species is elevated to a high art.

Everyone wanted to be around my mother. Including my boyfriends -- growing up I became used to hearing 'why can't you be more like your mom?' Wow, that can put the double whammy on a kid...

Sadly, I cannot say I am as gracious. I am just the product of a different generation; less prone to smile and be sweet. (Not that she was ever a door-mat). I'm more driven and up-front, less 'soft.' And I guess having cancer since my 20s has forged my character with more steel out of necessity. I haven't had the luxury to remain 'soft' in that way. Still, mom gave me some of the best parts of myself, and I feel very lucky to have had the best mom in the world as my own. She's not reading this, but Happy Mother's Day, anyway. They came over last night for a marinated Italian chicken dish, rice, fresh asparagus, and strawberry cake.

5 comments:

ReformingGeek said...

Wow! I love that photo of your mom. Thanks for sharing you mom with us.

I hope you had a great day.

Chris said...

You may not be as soft, but you definitely inherited your Mom's graciousness, and beauty, and infectious laugh. Please give her my best.

strokeofliving said...

It's obvious that you come from a smart and beautiful woman. That 70's photo is a great one.

It doesn't matter that you are different from your mom in your approach to being 'soft.' We have our talents intertwined in our personalities which illuminates our collective beauty.

Viva la difference!!!

Tam and John said...

What a lovely post...sounds a lot like my mom. I haven't battled disease, but have somehow managed to come out not as soft as my mom, either. I still marvel at her grace and charm, in her 70s. Thanks for sharing!

UncertainProphet said...

Wow. That was well said.

I remember looking forward to visiting at your place. I really did enjoy seeing both you and your mom.

The terms gracious and charming fit really well... for both you and your mom. I remember those moments with a lot of fondness. :)

--marty