Saturday, November 14, 2009

2007

The spring of 2007 (my 13-yr-old niece's BD to be exact)*, I had surgery to remove my spleen, the tail end of my pancreas, and "as long as they were in the area," the biggest kidney tumor on my remaining kidney, which they no longer refer to as a kidney but a remnant.

They were "scared" to touch the remnant but the risk was too great not to try. The spleen had to go because it was in the way of the surgery, The pancreatic tumor was in a fortunate location where they predicted I wouldn't need meds or a change of diet in the future.

This time the CCC experience was a bit more intense. I was hooked up to more bells and whistles than I ever have been, and 24 hrs after surgery it was determined the little "Kid" wasn't working. But I pointed out I was awfully wet around my waist and incision, and they did some tests and realized the kidney just wasn't hooked up right and needed re-plumbing. So the next day I had another surgery and we held our breaths awhile until it stabilized.

I was there 9 days before being moved to a regular floor. It was depressing. A true floor of heart-break. Either patients were just out of intense surgery or they were there for a 'hail mary' pass. My neighbors were dying every day. The nurses were so thrilled to see me pacing the halls later in the week b/c they seldom see their patients recover.

As typical of abdominal surgery I lost 15 lbs. (the only silver lining to these surgeries, though I wouldn't recommend it). They ended up removing half my pancreas, so I don't need meds, but I have problems with certain foods and can get very ill from a too greasy meal of cheeseburgers or pizza, or from too much dairy (and I adore cheese and ice cream) -- small price to pay, still...

*not the first time. I have missed every family member's BD or have had an operation on their BD. I missed so many holidays I insisted the schedule be pushed so I wouldn't end up away - but time and circumstances seem to conspire against me sometimes....

Next: 2009, and status to date

12 comments:

Clare said...

Hey! You are the commenter before me on SITS! Happy Saturday Sharefest my friend! I thought that I had been through a lot (Cancer, 9 surgeries, 2 c-sectoins) but that is nothing compared to what you have been through. I am so happy that you are here and writing because you are great at it.

Grizzly Bear said...

Thank you for sharing. Amazing and fantastic that you are still around! :)

Have a great weekend!

Grissell
www.stay-at-homemomwhoknew.blogspot.com

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Well I, for one, am glad you're here to tell us about this. And I think I've got more catching up to do with some of your other posts, so if you'll excuse me...

Unknown said...

I'm more amazed every time I read one of your posts! You are one strong lady!

Krimmyk said...

It is always enlightening to see what others have endured, overcome and grown from. Thank you for sharing.

strokeofliving said...

Who needs dairy and grease? You were meant to live through this ordeal Miss Lovely Lady, how else would we have become blog friends?

I know, I know, I can probably think of healthier scenarios too. Regardless you are here, I am here and so is 'e.' We all have our stories and many people are being moved by them. So bring on 2009 so I can finish off my box of Kleenex.

((GREAT BIG HUG))

Deborah said...

Dairy and cheese..I'm not a big fan of either! I'm glad your doing well, you are truly an inspiration.
Thank you~

Tricia McWhorter said...

Thank god you've got a great sense of humor and they haven't managed to remove that. I'm with Eva Gallant up above. So glad you're well enough to write because you do it so well.

Anonymous said...

What a subject, but I admit, it is interesting. You are a strong-willed person!

e said...

About that book you said we three should write, I think it should be yours...

Happy Weekend! This exhausted bloggy friend is off to the land of nod.

Chris said...

I remember how bummed and -- dare I say -- scared you were from that surgery. But still you amaze me with the strength and grace with which you deal with this, year after year.

strokeofliving said...

Hey Lovely Lady,

I dedicated my Saturday extra post to you. Come on over and read it at your leisure. You inspired me to share [without divulging.]